SoCal Legacy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aggro Loam

4 posters

Go down

Aggro Loam Empty Re: Aggro Loam

Post by Antonius Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:44 pm

I think that some 1 drops are better than running chalice. But results are results.

Antonius

Back to top Go down

Post by panderalexander Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:20 am

They both have their benefits but your non-chalice version seemed to work well for you back-to-back. You going to prepare your list for post-survival.
panderalexander
panderalexander

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonius Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:36 pm

simple.

Mana Denial is very effective versus survival. However, to disrupt their mana, you need to play both wasteland and cheap removal for their mana dorks. Lightning bolt kills 8-16 of their dorks (ranger, hierarch, llanowar, fyndhorn) and also fogs Vengevines for a turn. Lavamancer hits all their dorks too. Its a very effective way of keeping them off mana and slowing them down. By the time they get survival off their two basics, you'll be ahead, maybe up at three lands dropping your bombs. It will be difficult for them to out race you or otherwise catch up at that point. Lightning Bolt can also just go to the dome. Combined with seismic, you'll occasionally have an all burn plan that just gets there.

Merfolk is the second best deck in the format and Chalice is irrelevant vs them. Removal--cheap removal, and a removal engine (lavamancer)--is much better in that matchup.

Together, merolk and survival is like 30-50% of the meta game on any given sunday. I'll take that any day.

On the flipside, where is chalice really good? Versus Zoo? no one plays zoo anymore, and its not like Bolt is terrible versus too, either--you're still killing nacatls and pridemages for 1 mana. Versus control? Well since you're not running chalice, you can bring duress out of the board and that just rapes control. Versus combo? You're not going to win that matchup anyways and combo players have told me that thorn is better than chalice. IDK; it's a toss up.

The main thing is, when you play aggro loam with no one drops, the deck becomes extremely clunky and slow. You fall in too much danger of falling behind when you dont get a mox diamond hand. Running good 1 drops like Lavamancer and Bolt gives you more turn 1 plays and more options down the stretch (like, play goyf and kill LoA on the same turn; much better than just playing pulse)

Also, there are some decks, like Stax and some Blue control builds, that just don't have an easy way to answer Lavamancer. This happened in a couple matches in the tournament where i just put down a turn 1 lavamancer and did like ten or twelve damage to them over the course of the game. It was pretty frustrating for the stacks player because he was sitting behind two prisons, taking two every turn, then getting bolted on top of that.

Antonius

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanS2k Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Whoa.....Tony really did his homework. The whole time I thought his success came from eating all that veggies. Laughing

NathanS2k

Back to top Go down

Post by panderalexander Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:32 am

Ya Tony knows his stuff. Even though I make fun of him, it's all in jist. I'm infact a big supporter, defending him in the Lands thread on The Source. For the rest of you, it goes to show the thought process he went through before deciding on adding a card. Researching the meta and analysing which cards will be effective and not just because the card looks cool or copying some netdeck online that used it.
panderalexander
panderalexander

Back to top Go down

Post by AE86 Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:20 am

Last time I play aggroloam was June knightware tourny. The deck was poor meta choice then losing stax and reanimator and merfolk. Has the deck become better?
AE86
AE86

Back to top Go down

Post by AE86 Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:30 am

When I play to get wastelock the way to do it was life from the loam recursion but that was slow. In the tourny reanimator second turn Iona for green or stax drops trinisphere or chalice for two and merfolk counter or daze devestating dreams and lethal turn 4-5. Seemed too slow back then but has meta slowed now?
AE86
AE86

Back to top Go down

Post by Antonius Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:18 pm

Grim Lavamancer is the catch all answer to any given merfolk deck. Turn 1 Lavamancer is pretty much game. They can't beat him unless they're in a splash for removal. He's also pretty good against Goblins (though they have answers for him, which is annoying) and helps win goyf wars. You'd also be surprised by the number of times I've killed a Knight of the Reliquary with lavamancer.

Antonius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum